Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Time of Feasting

The Time of Feasting by Mick Farren

    I didn't expect much from this book when I started reading it. It was recommended to me by this scruffy looking Nerf-herder I work with. 

    As I got further into it became obvious that Farren can actually write. I turned to the back of the book to look at his mini-bio and it turns out he spent some time teaching writing courses at UCLA. 

    Then, as I got further into the book I realized that Farren had some interesting ideas about how to break from the traditional Vampire lore and still being respectful of the genre. There aren't any sparkling day-glo angsty douches in this book. They are vampires. They don't tell you they are bad... They seduce you, violate you, and then throw you away.  It's gory.  It's sexy.  And it's fun.

    The contemporary setting ('80's New York) was cool. The book's acceptance and respect for superhuman paranormal was cool (the vampires are threatened with destruction by a Zombie army if they don't get out of town). 

    I would recommend this book to just about anyone, and I can't wait to read the sequel. It's not the best book... Probably not as good as Fevre Dream by Martin... But it's worthy way to spend a weekend.    


    Nature is nature... Evil comes by choice and by the exercise of will.
    Pg. 146


No comments:

Post a Comment