Friday, April 2, 2010

The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

First, it's written in Present Tense. Bad, Paolo Bacigalupi, Bad! 

I can't decide if I liked this book or not. That's a bad thing... 

The ending wasn't very satisfying after a meandering plot where I often wasn't sure who the main protagonist was supposed to be, and there wasn't a strong antagonist for any of them to work off of in any sustained/suspenseful way. 

The world-building was excellent; although implausible. The details were vivid, and the excellent sensory descriptions were often what kept me turning the pages when I wasn't particularly interested in the characters or able to see what larger issues were at stake. 

Also, it's written in present tense. 

I will probably read this book again, but I won't recommend it to any of my friends except the most serious of SF readers.


One can think there are such things as loyalty and trust and kindness...In the end they are only smoke and cannot be grasped.
    Pg. 72

Akkarat may be rich, but he is a paper tiger.
    Pg. 83

Everything is change...Clinging to the past, worrying about the future...It's all suffering.
    Pg. 349


No comments:

Post a Comment